Spiritual Life

Painsley MAC North Parish Links

Termly Parish Link meetings are held at Painsley Catholic College, where we welcome all our representatives from our Catholic community. Our representatives are;

Mrs R Waugh – Principal

Fr Eric Kemball – School Chaplain

Mrs P Sowter – Lay Chaplain

Representatives from our neighbouring MAC feeder parishes.

St. Giles RC. Church, Cheadle

Parish Priest: Fr. Eric Kemball
Parish Address:18 Charles Street Cheadle, ST10 1ED
Telephone: 01538 753 130
Email: stgiles.rc@talk21.com or kemballeric@gmail.com
Website: http://www.stgilescheadle.org.uk/
Mass Times: Sunday Masses 10.30am,  Saturday Vigil Mass (vigil for Sunday) 5.00pm

St. Giles’ is considered to be the finest of all the churches built by the celebrated nineteenth century architect and designer A.W.N Pugin. So, it is known as “Pugin’s Gem”. It was completed in 1846.

St. Giles’ was originally conceived as a relatively simple parish church, built to serve Cheadle’s modest Catholic population. As the plans progressed, it increased in size and detail. In 1846, the consecration of St. Giles’ was attended by Bishops, Archbishops and overseas statesmen, as well as luminaries from the world of architecture and design.


St. Mary’s RC. Church, Leek

Parish Priest: Fr Martin Pratt
Parish Address: Presbytery, Compton, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5NH
Telephone: 01538 382 385
Email: father@stmaryleek.org.uk
Website: www.stmaryleek.org.uk
Mass Times:  Sunday Masses  10.00am, Saturday Vigil Mass 6.00pm, Holyday Masses 9.30am, 7.00pm, Confessions Saturday 10.30 – 11.30am
Particular Mass times may vary, so be sure to check out the What’s On guide on the website for updates.

The present church was opened on 13th May 1887. Designed by Albert Vicars of London, the land had been purchased by John Sperling, father of the parish priest, Reverend Alfred Sperling, for £400 and building had commenced in 1885. The stained-glass windows were made by Mayer of Munich and London and the particularly magnificent East Window was donated by Elizabeth Bermingham. One of the windows was dedicated to Reverend (by now Monsignor) Alfred Sperling after his death in 1923.

In 1921, a War Memorial was erected on the south side of the church to commemorate the 23 local men who had died in World War I.


St. Mary’s RC. Church, Uttoxeter

Parish Priest: Rev Fr Michael Bonaccorsi
Parish Address: 11 Balance Street, Uttoxeter
Telephone: 01889 562 082
Email:stmary.uttoxeter@rcaob.org.uk
Website: www.catholicuttoxeter.org.uk
Mass Times: Sunday Masses  9.30am, Saturday Vigil Mass, Holyday Masses 7.30pm, Weekday Masses as on weekly newsletter, Confessions Saturday 12.00 – 12.30pm, Benediction Wednesday and Saturday after 10.00 Mass

St. Mary’s Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic church in UttoxeterStaffordshire. It opened in 1839. It is part of the parish of St. Mary along with Sacred Heart Church, Abbots Bromley (no longer now an active Parish Church). The church was designed by A.W.N. Pugin and was his first church design. Construction started on 4th October 1838 and the building was opened on 22nd August 1839. The church was the work of Father Morgan of the Cresswell mission. The church was expanded with the addition of a chancel which was completed in 1879. It was again expanded in 1913. It also has a Presbytery designed by Pugin which later on was extended that is connected to the side of the church.


St. Filumena RC. Church, Caverswall

Parish Priest: Fr. Kazimierz Stefek OSPPE, Rev Fr Pawel Przbyszeqski OSPPE, Rev Mr Peter Bowyer
Parish Address: Blythe Bridge Road, Caverswall, Stoke-on-Trent, ST11 9EA
Telephone: 01782 313734
Email: augustineandmary@hotmail.co
Website: augustineandmary.org.uk
Mass Times: Sunday Masses 9.00am, Holyday Masses 9.15am, Weekday Masses Monday and Wednesday 9.15am, Confessions Before the Sunday Mass

In 1811, a community of Benedictine sisters, originally from Ghent in Belgium, settled in Caverswall Castle from Preston. They first created a chapel in the castle itself, it was built in 1812, it was the first Catholic chapel in Caverswall since the Reformation. It was opened by Bishop Milner on 26th Jan 1813.

The community hosted many great leaders of the Catholic community at the time, including Bishop Milner and Blessed Dominic Barberi. They founded a girl’s school that drew pupils from all over the Midlands, and eventually moved to Oulton. Catholics from Meir and Lane End (Longton) had attended mass at the convent until a separate chapel in the town was built for them in 1820.

In 1864, the present church of St. Filumena was opened for the people of the area of the present parish covering Caverswall and Weston Coyney and most of Blythe Bridge.


St. John the Baptist RC. Church, Alton

Parish Priest: Rev Fr Christopher Yule
Parish Address: Castle Hill, Alton, ST10 4AH
Telephone: 01782 703 503
Mass Times: Sunday Masses 9.00am, Holyday Masses As announced

It was the 1830s and John XVI, Earl of Shrewsbury, having completed the building of Alton Towers, now turned his attention to the needs of the people on the other side of the valley. Both Pugin and the Earl were determined to do something to alleviate the suffering of the people of the village. And so, plans for a Catholic ‘hub’ were drawn up in 1839 which included a hospital, chapel and a school for poor children. The hospital was built in 1840 within the precincts of the old medieval Castle on the most beautiful part of the site overlooking the Churnet Valley. The building forms three sides of a square and is in Tudor Gothic style. Inside the present church, the school was separated from the Chapel by a stone arch and large doors, the hinges of which can still be seen today. The buildings, bar the Castle, were bought from the Towers Estate during the First World War and when the debt was eventually paid off in 1932 the Chapel was consecrated and became a Church in its own right.

 


St. Marys’s RC. Church, Cresswell

Parish Priest: Parish Priest: Fr. Kazimierz Stefek OSPPE, Rev Fr Pawel Przbyszeqski OSPPE
Parish Address: Cresswell Old Road, Cresswell, St11 9RF
Telephone: 01782 313 734
Website: augustineandmary.org.uk
Email: augustineandmary@hotmail.com
Mass Times: Saturday Vigil Mass 6.00pm, Holyday Masses 6.00pm (Vigil), Confessions Before the Saturday Vigil

St. Mary’s is a modest red brick Gothic church in a rural setting, attached to an earlier (seventeenth century) house. The church is important as an early, pre-Emancipation example of Catholic church-building – the first to be built in north Staffordshire after restrictions were lifted in 1791. The interior is plain, with a gallery at one end. Most of the furnishings are modern, but the church possesses important vestments and sacred vessels from the chapel of the now-demolished Painsley Hall, and a window by A. W. N. Pugin to Lady Stourton, who financed the construction. The churchyard cross and (less certainly) the font are also attributed to Pugin.

Skip to content